Amy Lyons is an illustrator and designer who has exploded in her growth as an illustrator over the last ten years. Amy has been a pillar in the Design Recharge family for over nine years. I can’t think of a better person to kick off Love on Designers.
Amy does a great job at pouring into the creative community through her local AIGA as well as online here and in other Design and Illustration communities. She is an amazing illustrator that has explored styles, dived into different eras deep, like her 1920’s style borders.
She will take us through her growth as an illustrator, which gives me hope Amy reminds me if I’m willing to put in the work and time to grow and pursue my passion, I will improve. I need to dive deep, seek help and encouragement, and accountability. I need to simply not give up.
Will you take a challenge with me during the month of February to pursue a passion like Amy has done?
I hope you’ll join us this Wednesday, February 2 at 7:30pm BST / 2:30pm ET / 11:30am PT / 9:30am in Hawaii. Sign up to get the link at https://rechargingyou.com/signup
You can always join us for the live taping experience and be part of the community. Come a little early and introduce yourself in the chat, tell us where you are located in the world and say hey!
Oh and it’s Amy’s birthday!!!!
(online video courses, annual subscription required)
(online video courses, pay per course)
Cartoon Animation with Preston Blair, Revised Edition!
The Silver Way: Techniques, Tips, and Tutorials for Effective Character Design
Cartoon Cool: How to Draw New Retro-Style Characters
- Amy, can you give everybody a little background about your start in design and when illustration became something you did more often?
- In the last 10 years Amy what have processes or systems have you put in place that have helped you grow as an illustrator? As a designer?
- In the last 30 days have you been learning anything or working on any new habits related to your illustration?
- How have you gone about developing different styles, can you walk us through your process of learning and experimenting with a different style?
- Is there a resource you would share with a budding illustrator that would help them get a jump start and not get frustrated in the early stages?
- How have you used your illustration skills to create passive income? Tell us about your creative market storefront? Tell us how you were inspired to great the packs and series you have created?
- Amy you have been a big advocate for community and serving the creative community. You have served on AIGA’s Raleigh board and attended conferences, volunteered, and been active in the community. How has this helped you grow and move into new jobs?
- You have given back a lot, what has community done for your creativity and motivation? Are there other aspects that you get out of community not mentioned yet?
- What is next?
Love on Designers
WEEK 1 is ENERGIZE
Take someone to coffee, go for a walk with someone. Or simply bring someone a drink that will bring them energy. Maybe that is water, maybe that is something with high doses of caffeine.
This year you could buy someone a coffee card. Have you seen, https://www.buymeacoffee.com/? Maybe some of your friends have this set up?
Be positive energy for others in meetings this week.
Here are the prompts for this week, try and do one of these this week.
Snap a photo and use the hashtag #loveondesigners when you post it.
Post an energizing quote and tag a friend who could use some energizing (remember to use the #loveondesigners tag)
Week 2 is ENCOURAGE
Create a post and share an encouraging word on social media specifically to someone who needs a lift. Tag them and use the hashtag #loveondesigners
Send an old fashioned letter to someone who you know who has been killing it in our industry.
Direct message someone and let them know you have seen their work and know how much time and energy they have been putting into it and it isn’t going unnoticed.
Week 3 is RECHARGE
This is a week for you, so focus on you and giving you what you need this week. Shoot a picture and use the hashtag #loveondesigners this week and let us know how you are taking care of yourself this week.
Take a walk or a hike.
Give yourself an at-home spa day.
Watch a movie.
Take a nap.
Do something that refuels you, take a picture and use the #loveondesigners.
Week 4 is CONNECT
This week we want you to reach out to someone you don’t know and tell them how their work / life has inspired you.
Create a Social Media post and tag them (and us) telling them how they have inspired or helped you.
Reach out to a mentor and let them know how much they have meant to you.
Send a card to someone you have looked up to, to their office. Do a little digging and find the address. And craft an incredible envelope to go with the card.
I hope you will join us as we lift up the design community this month and spread the love.
Here is how to enter to win one of the four giveaways this month:
GIVEAWAY TIME! Tag 2 friends in the comments to enter the drawing for some of my favorite drawing and painting tools, plus a few cards to send to friends and people who inspire you, postcards which you can hang in your office, and a few special surprise bonus items!
Four winners will be randomly selected. Each week I will post twice a week on instagram @designrecharge. Three winners will be randomly selected from each week. To be entered to win all you have to do is:
- Follow @designrecharge.
- Comment and tag two friends to enter.
AND / OR
The last two weeks we will choose a person during the Feb 17th live show and during the Feb 24 live show. All you have to do is:
- Come to the live show
- Comment during the show